Hello friends and family!
My first newsletter just hit the inboxes! I wanted to post the content here as well to give non-subscribers a chance to read. If you want to join my mailing list, just click here :)
Each newsletter will feature different highlights of my art career (along with some personal life anecdotes of course, because ya know, that's just me).
So, whoo!, here are some quick life updates:
- We moved into a new apartment! Reach out via text or email if you need our new mailing address.
- I got a new job at a jewelry studio that will allow me to work from home after G.Bear (our baby's nickname as we still wait to discover if it is a boy or a girl!) is born!
- I have also been blessed with a few freelance jobs recently.
- I crave nothing but orange juice being 36 weeks pregnant!
- We're continuing to work here in the city with YWAM Baltimore.
YWAM is the missions organization we worked with in Lyon, France and Alesund, Norway, and is the main topic of this newsletter.
It is an international organization with a mission statement of "Know God, and make Him known." Each location around the world executes this mission through different avenues. For example, YWAM Lyon has a passion for training artists with excellence, and aims to combine high quality street art - most notably through the hip hop movement and contemporary art - with sharing the Gospel. We did that by performing in festivals, painting murals all around France, and giving artistic workshops - all while building sustainable relationship + community.
YWAM Baltimore has a similar heart for creatives. Part of the mission is to support creatives + invest in their individual craft and faith. At the same time, we want to explore the possibilities of forming artist communities and creatively communicating the power of the gospel in everyday life + relationship.
Christian and I are currently on the leadership team of YWAM Baltimore, figuring out exactly what will be our long term role within it. Most of you know that I have had a dream of starting an artist collective (what Christian and I have dubbed as "The Wombat Idea" for easy reference), and YWAM Baltimore seems like a good avenue to make that dream happen.
For the past month with YWAM specfically, we welcomed 4 artists from another YWAM team in Barcelona! With them we:
- Hosted an "art night" in our home as a kick-off to the month they spent here
- I did an Artist Talk with them, discussing what it looks like to be a practicing artist, my experience with creative communities over the past 3 years, and how to pursue the creative identity God has put inside of us as artists.
- Designed and hand screen printed some fun t-shirts that represent different views of Baltimore.
- Ate lots of good food!
Other things the Barcelona team did that Christian and I didn't directly host were:
- "Pop Up Brewery" and "Art on Tap" - two creative nights to engage the city.
- Art therapy with a small group of refugee women.
- Played music at "Abode" - the monthly worship night hosted by YWAM Baltimore at Church & Company in Hampden.
The team departed this past Monday, and now Christian and I are settling into having a baby! We are only 4 weeks away from the due date, and we have a crib and a changing table set up -- so we're obviously making great progress ;)
For more photos from the past month, take a look at my Instagram - @lee_nowell
Thanks for reading!